Wednesday, June 28, 2006

A short break...

To trumpet my love of living in a country with an official mango season.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but I LOVE THIS FRUIT. Because I'm too lazy to try and formulate cogent thoughts right now, a vaguely mango-related list:

  • Although at first I just cast them off because I thought they were unripe, green mangoes are indeed delectable
  • S refuses to eat Alphonsos ("the king of mangoes") because he thinks they get too much press
  • I once had a professor who made us call her "Mango" and spoke about herself in the third person
  • The best way to eat a mango is in your jammies standing over the kitchen sink
  • Despite S's conviction that I would get cholera from drinking a mango shake in Daryaganj purchased for a sporting Rs 15, I did not indeed suffer any gastrointestinal distress -- AND they put delicious dried fruits and ice cream on top
  • My friend R was shocked that my skin was so clear when I told her I eat at least two mangoes a day; she says they give you pimples
  • "If they gave no trouble, he was willing to pay them an annual rent in kind -- mangoes and rice" (David Davidar, The House of Blue Mangoes, p. 120) <--- I wish I was a landlord and could exact this type of payment

3 comments:

Venitha said...

We always say you've got to love a fruit that you can't eat without getting it all over your face. =) My one complaint about my two weeks in Rajashthan in February is that is wasn't mango season.

Anonymous said...

I love mangoes too. I am from Mexico and I ate them with chili powder... mmm just yummy! I insert a fork in mango's bottom.. so I don't get it all over my face. ;)

Dheeraj Raghav said...

Kashmir, the crowning glory of India, is poetry of nature. The beauty of Kashmir has always attracted travelers and emperors alike to appreciate the enchanting wonder that Kashmir is. A Kashmir Tour Packages is an experience of a lifetime, unforgettable in every way. The Kashmir holidays experience is no less splendid than a most beautiful dream, the kind of which we see with our eyes open. From the quiet sunset on Dal Lake in Srinagar to the thrilling rush of white water rafting adventure sports of Gulmarg, Kashmir has a plethora of unforgettable experiences to offer to the traveler. In fact, the beauty of Kashmir can be summarized into three distinct categories, the foothill plains of Jammu, the beautiful lakes and valleys of Kashmir (Gulmarg, Sonmarg, Pahalgam, Srinagar etc) and the magnificent mountains of Ladakh and Leh. This is the reason we offer tour packages encompassing these three distinct regions of Kashmir. Kashmir is also a holy land with pilgrims visiting the Amaranth Siva-Linga made of ice and also the Vaishno Devi temple pilgrimage. Therefore, if you are a pilgrim to Kashmir, you should choose the tour package that takes you on your pilgrimage.