Wednesday, June 28, 2006

A short break...

To trumpet my love of living in a country with an official mango season.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but I LOVE THIS FRUIT. Because I'm too lazy to try and formulate cogent thoughts right now, a vaguely mango-related list:

  • Although at first I just cast them off because I thought they were unripe, green mangoes are indeed delectable
  • S refuses to eat Alphonsos ("the king of mangoes") because he thinks they get too much press
  • I once had a professor who made us call her "Mango" and spoke about herself in the third person
  • The best way to eat a mango is in your jammies standing over the kitchen sink
  • Despite S's conviction that I would get cholera from drinking a mango shake in Daryaganj purchased for a sporting Rs 15, I did not indeed suffer any gastrointestinal distress -- AND they put delicious dried fruits and ice cream on top
  • My friend R was shocked that my skin was so clear when I told her I eat at least two mangoes a day; she says they give you pimples
  • "If they gave no trouble, he was willing to pay them an annual rent in kind -- mangoes and rice" (David Davidar, The House of Blue Mangoes, p. 120) <--- I wish I was a landlord and could exact this type of payment

2 comments:

venitha said...

We always say you've got to love a fruit that you can't eat without getting it all over your face. =) My one complaint about my two weeks in Rajashthan in February is that is wasn't mango season.

Anonymous said...

I love mangoes too. I am from Mexico and I ate them with chili powder... mmm just yummy! I insert a fork in mango's bottom.. so I don't get it all over my face. ;)