Friday, December 16, 2005

Liquid courage

Oh, sweet lord.

See, in college, I had this problem with drinking. As in: It was the only thing that could get me through classes. I had to drink a few shots of vodka to stay focused in classes.

I moved back to India because when I was here the first time, I was much less dependent upon the evil spirits.

And since I took up residence here, I've been remarkably good. In my six months in Kottayam, I drank twice (once at the infamous "goodbye Mike and Jessa" booze party, and once with Ujjal after a long day of picture taking); and though I enjoy a drink to unwind in the evenings, I've thus far been really good and probably have only gotten drunk a few times in Delhi.

But tonight? Listening to Yahoo! Radio and having rum and diet Pepsi. If I move back to the states, they better import Old Monk and Sikkim rum.

On the other hand, I am terrified that I have the same taste in drink as my (birth) father.

I started out clean but I'm jaded.

(This message has been brought to you in part by Old Monk XXX Rum.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm an Indian in US and badly missing the Old Monk.

Chandu said...

I'm an Indian in India who's sure to be in critical condition if I consume alcohol!

Unknown said...

I had a friend who so proudly said his only friend was Old Monk. last heard, the Old Monk is boozing his way around India.