Friday, February 3, 2006

Just breathe

Do you ever feel like you're drowning?

It could be the cold talking, but all this week...I've felt a tightness in my chest, the anticipation of something Big, the kind of something that can be bad or good but not neutral, not something that will ever recede into the background.

There's talk of marriages of convenience, and talk of deportation, and talk of Becoming an Adult, which doesn't seem real. I am waltzing around so unassuming, and all around me, buildings are coming down, protests staged, worlds shattered.

Rebuild.

I looked up at the starless sky. The dark began to diminish. Night was turning over in its sleep, turning to day. Surely there was some part of us that could be relied upon to remain consistent regardless of what life threw at us, some tiny kernel of being?

No comments: