Thursday, May 11, 2006

Current craving

Bhel puri.

I could eat it all day right now. My appetite varies by the season, and I'm a habitual eater -- sometimes I'll eat nothing but yogurt for a week, then I'll eat nothing but mangoes for a month, before finally deciding that it's really it's peanut butter and honey sandwiches that will sate me.

Because I'm too wary of street vendors (and S would kill me if I got dysentery just to get a taste of delicious, gritty snackies from men with bells and grotty carts), I have improvised a home recipe. Yum.

1 teaspoon imli chutney, diluted with water
Two handfuls (my-sized hands) puffed rice
1/2 handful raw chana
1/4 handful raw small, black chana (I totally don't know the name)
1 handful peanuts
1/2 small red onion
1/2 diced tomato
1/2 lemon
1/2 green chili

Take a spoon and stir, then eat. Preferably while laying in front of the AC and dreaming of actually being able to have an evening snack in the sultry winds of a Delhi afternoon.

No comments: