Thursday, January 25, 2007

Get Garfunk-y

So, I have this really dear friend who loved Simon and Garfunkel, but his allegiances were strongly in the Simon camp. I, however, have always had an affinity for Garfunkel, the underdog. Anyhow, I was making my argument for about a year before we saw the "Old Friends" concert, at which Garfunkel busted out "Bridge Over Troubled Water," TOTALLY shutting said friend up, because Garfunkel's voice was this crystal bell ringing out through the stuffy, crowded Chicago stadium.

Anyway, more evidence that the Funky One is awesome? This, his ridiculously long reading list -- spanning from 1968 to the present. He happens to share more than a few of my faves (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man; Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar; Edith Wharton, the House of Mirth; Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre; Goethe, The Sorrows of Young Werther). Holy moley, I knew I liked him for a reason.

No comments: