Monday, October 31, 2005

Kerala Kalamandalam

A series of shots from the arts school outside Thrissur:


Preach on, teach. Grainy due to limitations of current camera.


These little boys watch fellow students perform (or, in the case of the boy meeting my gaze, wonder why the white girl is focusing her lens on him).


Not a terrific exposure, but I love the lines their arms create.


Great shirts, yeah? These boys are learning how to apply kathakali makeup by simulating the procedure on upturned pots.


The kalaris (school rooms) were great open-air spaces that let in perfect light.


I just loved how perfectly still their upper bodies are, while their hands move so quickly.

A great place -- visit if you can. I usually don't go in for this touristing stuff, but I guess I would make an exception in this case.

No comments: